Ten Things I Like about My Job

Posted: September 2nd, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: challenges, happiness | Tags: , , , , | 13 Comments »

Windows framed with colorful ivy in AutumnYesterday just wasn’t one of my finest days.  I think the kids and I are suffering from a surfeit of summer and Utah’s death has us feeling raw as well.  Layla got mad at me for making her get dressed to go out in the morning and told me that she hated me (not a frequent nor fun occurrence).  Jonah wanted to listen to music, and Layla screamed for quiet.  Jonah wanted to go to the gym and Layla wanted to stay home.  They were at each other’s and my throats all day long.  Usually I let days like this pass without a fuss but instead I felt cross and impatient with them both.

As I always do, I searched for something, anything, to make me feel better.  Ironically the thought that cheered me up was that today I go back to work for the first time since May.  Before yesterday I was feeling down about this turn of events, and then I realized that it is time.  It is time to be busy again, to feel the hum of activity, to have the kids back in school, making new friends and learning a few new things.  And it is time for me to get back to my other kids, my college students.

Today is Thursday, Thank You Journal day at Alli’n Son, a blog that invites other bloggers to link up their posts about appreciation.  I think you all know what a big believer I am in gratitude.  Simply put, when I appreciate things or people in my life, I find that I have even more to appreciate.  Considering this economy and my ex’s difficulty finding full time academic work, I am so grateful that I have such a good job.

The following is a list of the reasons why I appreciate my work.

1)  I have been able to arrange my schedule so that I am available most days to drop off and pick up my kids at school.

2) I love educating young women.  My students are motivated and appreciative, and I often learn from them, especially about their generation’s values.

3) I love being a teacher.  All things considered, I think that by teaching young women Spanish and Hispanic culture, I am contributing something worthwhile to the world.  At the very least, they can order a cold beer on the beaches of Cancun.

4)  I enjoy contributing to the advancement of women in our society.  Although I’m not quite the feminist that I once was in my twenties (thank God for that because back then I was frankly a humorless ideologue), I do think that we need more women in positions of leadership in all aspects of our society.  I am happy to share both my knowledge and some of my life wisdom with them.

5)  I have talented colleagues.  They have creative ideas, which they are willing to share, which is somewhat rare for academics.  They are also compassionate people, who work really hard, yet acknowledge that we have personal lives that need our attention as well.

6)  I am very excited to have my own office this year.  My previous officemate was great, but there is something very peaceful about having a room of one’s own away from home.

7)  I have Fridays off from teaching so that I can get grading and class planning done.  In addition, I can have coffee at the Woodstar café with my buddy Tobey.  This also means that Thursday nights are the beginning of my weekend, which makes the night that I hang with my yoga friends even more special.

8)  I can do work from home.  The benefit of being an academic is the freedom to do work at home in the evenings and on Sundays.  Of course that can also be a disadvantage, but I am a glass half full kinda gal.

9)  I have much time off, including January and the summer months.

10)  My job flexibility has allowed me to start this blog, which I have really come to love.  I enjoy the creativity of the writing process, the dialogue with my readers, and the almost daily process of reflecting upon what has gone right in my divorce.  To a certain extent, this is my own gratitude journal.  Thank you all for being a part of that!

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

So tell me…What aspects do you like most about your job?

Do you find that when you appreciate your life, you feel happier?

13 Comments on “Ten Things I Like about My Job”

1. 1 Molly Monet said at 10:07 am on September 2nd, 2010:

And I just got to work and they gave me a brand new beautiful Mac with a lovely large screen. Yay!

2. 2 Mindy Pelz-Hall said at 10:24 am on September 2nd, 2010:

Awesome! When the kids went back to school this week, I realized how much I enjoy routine. Although summer brought us so much fun & bonding time, September could quiet possibly be my favorite month. Tuesdays & Thursdays I have off from work & I get to focus on me & fuel myself up for the other days. This tuesday I took a long run to the top of a hill in LG & then had the spontanety to visit a friend for lunch. Wasn’t worried about rushing back to get to the kids. Such a great feeling!
    Mindy Pelz-Hall recently posted..Dr Matthew Breske

3. 3 Ali said at 11:10 am on September 2nd, 2010:

This list was easier for me to make:
    I work in public health, which, similarly to you, I feel allows me to contribute to the world. I’m very proud of that.
    As well, I teach community members about health initiatives, and I love the teaching interactions.
    I work with an incredibly diverse group of people, all ages, races, and socio economic status (what’s the plural of status). It feels like interacting with various cultures…rural, urban, educated, non-educated. I find working with so many diverse people fascinating.
    I bike to work!!! I live only 2.5 miles away, and relish my thinking time on the bike.
    There are lots of things that could be a bit better, including the pay. But like you, I feel grateful to have a job, and one that has so many “positives” makes it even better. Thanks for this post!

4. 4 Tawni said at 11:21 am on September 2nd, 2010:

That’s fabulous Molly! Considering most of us spend a good portion of our daily lives working it seems important to love what you’re doing. We talked briefly last Thursday about whether or not our jobs defined us. Although I am in no way married to my job, I certainly find my work both meaningful and enjoyable. So much so that it was the impetus for my move out of state. Some of the top aspects of managing a health food store for me:
    1. I am passionate about the healing properties of herbs and natural medicine. I am able to share that on a daily basis with my customers.
    2. I have a community. People in the area like and respect me. I am able to connect regularly with people with similar values.
    3. Although I work 6 days a week, the store doesn’t open until 10 am. So I am able to sleep until 8:30am if I stay out late!
    4. My boss appreciates me and trusts me to run is business. He pays me well
    5. I manage the store. Although many people think I should own my store, I prefer to leave my work at work and fill the rest of my life with other meaningful people and activities. I don’t own the store. and the store doesn’t own me :)

5. 5 Molly Monet said at 1:49 pm on September 2nd, 2010:

September will be even better when my kids are officially in school (the 7th). Layla threw a fit this morning when I dropped her off at Hugo’s but my beautiful new Mac has erased that memory!!! Great to hear from you sis!

6. 6 Molly Monet said at 1:51 pm on September 2nd, 2010:

Thanks for participating Ali. Writing my list gave me an extra spring in my step on the way to work and set a great tone for my first day. I am feeling psyched for the new year!

7. 7 Molly Monet said at 1:52 pm on September 2nd, 2010:

That sounds great, Tawni! I learned a lot about you that I didn’t know from that list. See you tonight!

8. 8 Molly Monet said at 3:01 pm on September 2nd, 2010:

Btw- biking to work is the best! Do you do it in the winter too?

9. 9 Ali said at 3:29 pm on September 2nd, 2010:

Yes, I live in North Carolina, so “winter” is usually ok for biking..when it’s too cold, I do with a long walk!

10. 10 Karmafit said at 5:15 pm on September 2nd, 2010:

What a great idea. I am self employed now for nearly 20 years and have been fortunate enough to earn a living doing transcription. I am so grateful for being able to be so flexible in my life and now so spoiled that I am not sure I could ever not work at home.

11. 11 Molly Monet said at 11:13 pm on September 2nd, 2010:

It is wonderful that you have found something that suits you well. Not everyone can work from home but those who do seem to love it. Flexibility and being able to call your own shots are a definite plus though!

12. 12 Jenn said at 7:54 am on September 3rd, 2010:

Molly (since you asked…) I will spare you the gory details, but my job is not my favorite part of my day…(working on the blog in the wee hours of the morning and night is). I am so completely envious of you and others like you who have found something they can be excited about getting up in the morning for. I am working towards that…but I can’t give up the day job that takes so much energy, time and spirit out of me because it pays the bills. It’s a situation I know a lot of people are in.

But….one day I will get there. I hope.
    Jenn recently posted..Jam Session with Erin Erickson

13. 13 Molly Monet said at 8:13 am on September 3rd, 2010:

But the good news is that you have found something that you love to do…your blog. I find that having a passion can spill over to other arenas of my life and make them seem better (or maybe just less important).